Well, do I have a lot to say about this painting!  This is the first large scale acrylic piece I’ve taken as a commission in years.  I don’t paint with acrylics very often, so I ran into many roadblocks while unlocking my memories for acrylic painting.  I forgot a lot of little rules that made this very hard going, and even forced me to start all over again after I was about 1/4th of the way through painting.  While I don’t have a lot of the progress shots for it, I’ll outline what I did anyway.


First step, as always, are thumbnails.  I did them digitally to work out my composition and colors.  We ended up settling on a difficult color scheme, but it worked out well. Second, I refined my sketch.  I did this digitally too, because making edits is much faster.  But because I would need to transfer this to the final illustration board later, there are more steps.


With the sketch refined, I printed it out to scale so I could affix it to my board.  I carefully cut out around the clump of characters and marked where I wanted them to be. Then I let the cut out sketch sit in water for about 2 minutes, saturating the paper.   Meanwhile, I mixed up a very liquid mixture of clear acrylic medium and modeling paste, and covered the board.  Then put the wet paper sketch down where I marked, took a big soft brush and gently brushed it down with more of the mixture, eliminating bubbles.  Once dry, the sketch sticks off the board a little, giving the piece some extra dimension!  You can see it bump up a bit in the photos above.  The rest of the sketch was loosely transferred with pencil after everything dried.  In this way, I didn’t have to transfer a complex clump of characters to the board with pencil, and added a little extra dimension to it all.


After this I ran into trouble.  I tried a wet-in-wet liquid acrylic technique to block in the sky, and it really looked awful.  All my messing with it didn’t make it look any better, so I cut a new piece of board, repeated the sketch transfer method, and started over.  I also mixed a palette too full of paint!  I later had to scrape paint off and save it in little plastic baggies to make room for on the fly mixtures.  I am using a stay-wet palette, which preserves wet acrylic so you don’t have to constantly remix paint every day you work.  It took quite a while, but it’s done!  I hope to be able to stream acrylic painting in the future.  =)  See the larger version here!


http://shadow-wolf.deviantart.com/art/In-Memoriam-363915147

  1. orcaowl reblogged this from eskiworks
  2. cyndergirlxp reblogged this from kavaeric
  3. glowcrow reblogged this from eskiworks
  4. kavaeric reblogged this from cyanbutt
  5. cyanbutt reblogged this from conformalspoopy
  6. that1guyfromgotham reblogged this from japandragon
  7. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh reblogged this from eskiworks
  8. tethysk reblogged this from eskiworks
  9. tamekazem reblogged this from eskiworks
  10. ara-personica reblogged this from eskiworks
  11. bee-nut reblogged this from conformalspoopy
  12. enyoung reblogged this from japandragon
  13. the-british-turtle reblogged this from eskiworks
  14. crinklecutcanine said: Every time I see your art it reminds me why I want to be a better painter. Thank you :3
Short URL for this post: http://tmblr.co/Zfs0hxi3h909